[FoRK] Amazon S3 storage service

Stephen D. Williams < sdw at lig.net > on > Tue Mar 14 10:42:15 PST 2006

FUSE looks cool.  I played with older incarnations of the idea,
including user-space NFS servers.
The obvious application for the service is a backup capability.  Hosting
the data is obviously commodity, right from the start, so it will
approach best cost quickly.
Another order of magnitude or two and it won't make sense to do anything
but cache data locally on untrustworthy hard drives.

On the other hand, wide dispersal of technology to do this (part of what
I'm working on), could allow distributed federation for this kind of
thing on a more or less free basis a la p2p.

sdw