[FoRK] Amazon S3 storage service

Luis Villa < luis.villa at gmail.com > on > Tue Mar 14 10:58:30 PST 2006

> On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 09:14:32AM -0800, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:
>
> > The problem, and therefore business opportunity, is software
> > components that allow the end user to fully take advantage of these
> > resources for sale.  I've been looking into this for quite a while
> > now, but have been too distracted to make much headway.
>
> I was planning to sell ftp://user:password@share.net and WebDAV space
> (in 1 GByte increments). Drag and drop to such shares is well-supported
> in most desktop OS.

If people can't save to it directly they'll forget about it very
quickly. It really needs to be transparent in every operation the OS
does, ideally. That's why FUSE backed to amazon for extra space (or
even just transparently backed up space) seems like a very interesting
concept. Add revisioning built into the filesytem (either at the FUSE
or Amazon/web-service level) and things could get very interesting
very fast.

Luis