[FoRK] Amazon S3 storage service

Eugen Leitl < eugen at leitl.org > on > Tue Mar 14 11:00:47 PST 2006

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 01:42:15PM -0500, Stephen D. Williams wrote:

> FUSE looks cool.  I played with older incarnations of the idea,
> including user-space NFS servers.

What is reasonably cool is linking up a number of systems
into a homogenous whole, including transparent process
migration (with load levelling), vserver migration, cluster
file system with redundancy (PFVS over RAID 1 volumes
for starters), all remotely controlled by IPMI.

> The obvious application for the service is a backup capability.  Hosting
> the data is obviously commodity, right from the start, so it will
> approach best cost quickly.
> Another order of magnitude or two and it won't make sense to do anything
> but cache data locally on untrustworthy hard drives.

Users don't own iron (bandwidth/storage/crunch) close to the backbone,
especially self-healing and cost-effective (economies of scale), so
services based on this should be productable.

> On the other hand, wide dispersal of technology to do this (part of what
> I'm working on), could allow distributed federation for this kind of
> thing on a more or less free basis a la p2p.

P2P would be so great, if everbody was on symmetric 100 MBit,
with no NAT. Sooner or later, when IPv6 lands.