[FoRK] Amazon S3 storage service

Eugen Leitl < eugen at leitl.org > on > Tue Mar 14 11:12:27 PST 2006

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 01:58:30PM -0500, Luis Villa wrote:
> On 3/14/06, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 09:14:32AM -0800, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:
> >
> > > The problem, and therefore business opportunity, is software
> > > components that allow the end user to fully take advantage of these
> > > resources for sale.  I've been looking into this for quite a while
> > > now, but have been too distracted to make much headway.
> >
> > I was planning to sell ftp://user:password@share.net and WebDAV space
> > (in 1 GByte increments). Drag and drop to such shares is well-supported
> > in most desktop OS.
>
> If people can't save to it directly they'll forget about it very

It's true you can't apparently map ftp://user:password@share.net
shares to a network drive. Doesn't this work with WebDAV over SSL,
though? (I don't have one up right now, so I can't check).

> quickly. It really needs to be transparent in every operation the OS
> does, ideally. That's why FUSE backed to amazon for extra space (or

I do run NFS shares over OpenVPN to remote systems. But it would
be a pain for Windows, since requiring SFU (which is no longer
supported). I guess a SMB/CIFS share over OpenVPN should do.

> even just transparently backed up space) seems like a very interesting
> concept. Add revisioning built into the filesytem (either at the FUSE

End users need rsync snapshot-type backups which work on a
daily/weekly/monthly/yearly basis. Anything finer-grained would
be too damn confusing.

> or Amazon/web-service level) and things could get very interesting
> very fast.

There hasn't been anything interesting in IT for a very long time.
All I see are kludges and crutches. But the end users ssso lllllove it.