[FoRK] Amazon S3 storage service

Luis Villa < luis.villa at gmail.com > on > Tue Mar 14 11:18:09 PST 2006

> On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 01:58:30PM -0500, Luis Villa wrote:

> > > I was planning to sell ftp://user:password@share.net and WebDAV space
> > > (in 1 GByte increments). Drag and drop to such shares is well-supported
> > > in most desktop OS.
> >
> > If people can't save to it directly they'll forget about it very
>
> It's true you can't apparently map ftp://user:password@share.net
> shares to a network drive. Doesn't this work with WebDAV over SSL,
> though? (I don't have one up right now, so I can't check).

I can in GNOME (sort of ;) but no idea about The OS That Is The Only
One That Matters Whether We Like It Or Not.

> > even just transparently backed up space) seems like a very interesting
> > concept. Add revisioning built into the filesytem (either at the FUSE
>
> End users need rsync snapshot-type backups which work on a
> daily/weekly/monthly/yearly basis. Anything finer-grained would
> be too damn confusing.

Hrm. Interesting assertion. Agreed that I've never seen a good UI for
anything finer-grained, but seems like it must be possible.

> > or Amazon/web-service level) and things could get very interesting
> > very fast.
>
> There hasn't been anything interesting in IT for a very long time.
> All I see are kludges and crutches. But the end users ssso lllllove it.

<shrug> I really enjoy playing with the future of UI and
collaboration, and think there is a lot interesting there. If you
don't find it so, your loss, not mine.

Luis