[FoRK] Amazon S3 storage service

Eugen Leitl < eugen at leitl.org > on > Tue Mar 14 11:43:28 PST 2006

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 02:18:09PM -0500, Luis Villa wrote:

> > There hasn't been anything interesting in IT for a very long time.
> > All I see are kludges and crutches. But the end users ssso lllllove it.
>
> <shrug> I really enjoy playing with the future of UI and

Do you see progress in UI? I don't. Gnome is arguably regressing.
Everything else is progressing glacially, or static. Where is immersive VR,
motion-capturing from raw video and perfect voice input? We've
been waiting for this shit for 10-20 years. Ivan Sutherland
is a terminally bitter old man now.

> collaboration, and think there is a lot interesting there. If you

I'm interested in moleculary circuits (~10^23 of switches),
~10^9 asynchronous objects, and human-level intelligence.
This is what I expected from the future 20-25 years ago.

If you think GUI and collaboration (haven't seen
anything breathtaking there either) is progress, be my guest.

> don't find it so, your loss, not mine.

Things need to be worth our attention. The pathetic crap
we call today's IT sure ain't.