[FoRK] Amazon S3 storage service

Luis Villa < luis.villa at gmail.com > on > Tue Mar 14 11:50:37 PST 2006

> On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 02:18:09PM -0500, Luis Villa wrote:
>
> > > There hasn't been anything interesting in IT for a very long time.
> > > All I see are kludges and crutches. But the end users ssso lllllove it.
> >
> > <shrug> I really enjoy playing with the future of UI and
>
> Do you see progress in UI? I don't. Gnome is arguably regressing.
> Everything else is progressing glacially, or static. Where is immersive VR,
> motion-capturing from raw video and perfect voice input? We've
> been waiting for this shit for 10-20 years. Ivan Sutherland
> is a terminally bitter old man now.

Is there progression in anything that is shipping right now? not
really, though I think deeply integrated search (which every major OS
will have by mid-2007) will allow for all kinds of interesting things
in the near future.

> > collaboration, and think there is a lot interesting there. If you
>
> I'm interested in moleculary circuits (~10^23 of switches),
> ~10^9 asynchronous objects, and human-level intelligence.
> This is what I expected from the future 20-25 years ago.
>
> If you think GUI and collaboration (haven't seen
> anything breathtaking there either) is progress, be my guest.

<shrug> like I said, you're entitled to have high expectations and be
bitter as a result; I'm not really going to waste my energy talking
you out of it. I find interesting things that are doable in the near
future and that might impact the lives of millions a year or two out.
If you're interested in a longer time horizon, go on and have a blast.
Or be bitter, your call.

Luis