[FoRK] Amazon S3 storage service

Eugen Leitl < eugen at leitl.org > on > Tue Mar 14 12:08:39 PST 2006

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 02:50:37PM -0500, Luis Villa wrote:

> Is there progression in anything that is shipping right now? not

I understand Cell blades are shipping. An cluster of
those with IB mesh would be interesting. Way out of my price
range, though.

> really, though I think deeply integrated search (which every major OS
> will have by mid-2007) will allow for all kinds of interesting things

Spotlight and Beagle (despite Mono) are reasonably useful. But come on,
this is 2006. Am I supposed to piss my pants from sheer bliss over
reasonably thorough, reasonably fast search? Color me underwhelmed.

> in the near future.

That "near future" I keep hearing about has a bad case of time dilation.
I'm getting old. I don't have that much time left, especially quality
time. And the trend is not getting better. All the vision and the
resources are going elsewhere. IT is just bit plumbing. About as
glamourous, and advancing about as fast.

> > > collaboration, and think there is a lot interesting there. If you
> >
> > I'm interested in moleculary circuits (~10^23 of switches),
> > ~10^9 asynchronous objects, and human-level intelligence.
> > This is what I expected from the future 20-25 years ago.
> >
> > If you think GUI and collaboration (haven't seen
> > anything breathtaking there either) is progress, be my guest.
>
> <shrug> like I said, you're entitled to have high expectations and be

I don't think my expectations are high. I think the world just
has a bad track record in fulfilling them. Maybe I'm just cursed
with green magic syndrome.

> bitter as a result; I'm not really going to waste my energy talking
> you out of it. I find interesting things that are doable in the near
> future and that might impact the lives of millions a year or two out.

It's good for you to have such low expectations.

> If you're interested in a longer time horizon, go on and have a blast.
> Or be bitter, your call.

I see the whole of humanity pissing away the time and whatever
few resources they have on sticks, dry grass, and trinkets. Meanwhile:

1.68 per second
101 per minute
6048 per hour
145 thousand per day
53 million per year
3.7 billion per average lifetime (70 years)

people are going to /dev/null, with much suffering.

If you're not bitter about this, you're remarkably well-adjusted.

Or just insane, as the rest of them.