[FoRK] Amazon S3 storage service

Elias Sinderson < elias at soe.ucsc.edu > on > Tue Mar 14 13:52:51 PST 2006

Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:

> [...] DAV doesn't quite act like a native filesystem... opening and
> saving large files typically is much slower, for example.

Agreed, however this is really a client issue (as opposed to a protocol
issue) -- HTTP (and WebDAV by extension) is designed to support range
requests... Of course, if you really do need to up/download a vary large
resource, then you're stuck. My general feeling is that bandwidth
capacity is growing fast enough (in most of the world) that this sort of
thing will be an increasingly marginal issue in the near future.
Obviously there will always be people up against the throughput wall, so
clearly the technology isn't for everyone, but for the average Jane /
Joe it will likely be adequate and then some.

Regards,
Elias