[FoRK] Amazon S3 storage service

Stephen D. Williams < sdw at lig.net > on > Tue Mar 14 18:29:33 PST 2006

I firmly believe that both full filesystem semantics and ACID integrity
constraints are red herrings and have seen a number projects reach the
same conclusion.  If you relax those semantics and go for things like
immutable distributed RAIN with opportunistic caching and manage
metadata separately, you can be more efficient and far simpler to
implement.  It's cool to have full distributed filesystems like DFS and
IBM's newly announced system, but not everything should be mapped onto a
filesystem API.

Amazon's service is perfect for a range of needs, as is the Google File
System and other simplified, yet more powerful systems.

With database-based applications, even when you have ACID capabilities,
there are a number of reasons to avoid updates, avoid "accumulators",
and otherwise avoid many of the situations where you needed transactions
to begin with.

sdw