[FoRK] Amazon S3 storage service

Gavin Thomas Nicol < gtn at rbii.com > on > Tue Mar 14 19:24:44 PST 2006

On Mar 14, 2006, at 4:52 PM, Elias Sinderson wrote:

> Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:
>
>> [...] DAV doesn't quite act like a native filesystem... opening
>> and  saving large files typically is much slower, for example.
>
> Agreed, however this is really a client issue (as opposed to a
> protocol issue)

Only to a a degree. WebDrive on windows does a lot of black magic and
deep voodo so it feels pretty good, but there are still gotchas.

Some of the requests in DAV are very, very verbose. getting all the
attributes of a resource hierarchy for example. My personal opinion
is that DAV is *still* a pretty poor protocol (and I have written 3
DAV servers/servlets, and various other filesystems), but OTOH, it's
also now lowest cost of entry for a fairly pervasive shared
filesystem. That said, the latest version of Samba provide some
pretty nice plugin capabilities for shares, and it took about 2 days
to have a pretty reasonable CIFS server sitting on an RDBMS when I
decided to give it a whirl a year or so ago, so there are other paths
you can take (and yes, I know that CIFS sucks in many ways too....).