[FoRK] Amazon S3 storage service

Eugen Leitl < eugen at leitl.org > on > Wed Mar 15 00:06:59 PST 2006

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 10:50:02AM +1100, Mark Neely wrote:

> Hence off-site storage services. If you buy the content from Amazon,
> it makes sense you'd also trust them to store a back-up copy for you.

I wouldn't trust any commercial entity to store my confidential data
on their servers.

Entering your home requires a search warrant, data-mining content
in transit or subpoena records can (will, actualy) be done silently.

Also, you're not in control. You might be denied access or your data
destroyed. If you lose data at home, that's a different matter subjectively.