[FoRK] Amazon S3 storage service

Eugen Leitl < eugen at leitl.org > on > Wed Mar 15 00:21:43 PST 2006

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 10:24:44PM -0500, Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:

> Some of the requests in DAV are very, very verbose. getting all the
> attributes of a resource hierarchy for example. My personal opinion

How chatty is CIFS in comparison? It's been designed for a LAN,
after all, not residential broadband with some 128-1024 kBit
upstream.

> is that DAV is *still* a pretty poor protocol (and I have written 3
> DAV servers/servlets, and various other filesystems), but OTOH, it's
> also now lowest cost of entry for a fairly pervasive shared
> filesystem. That said, the latest version of Samba provide some

I think having to download and install software is a strong bareer
of entry for users. OpenVPN is quite invasive in that respect,
and IPsec involves touching the NAT brick manually, which is even
more off-limits.

WebDAV over SSL seems fully supported onboard by the OS, and
also requiring lest amount of neurosurgery.