[FoRK] Amazon S3 storage service

Gavin Thomas Nicol < gtn at rbii.com > on > Wed Mar 15 06:23:09 PST 2006

On Mar 15, 2006, at 3:21 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> How chatty is CIFS in comparison? It's been designed for a LAN,
> after all, not residential broadband with some 128-1024 kBit
> upstream.

It's not bad... it settles down pretty quickly.

> I think having to download and install software is a strong bareer
> of entry for users.

I totally agree. That's the reason for using DAV, but you can get
around that with a small device that has all the magic built-in, and
CIFS/DAV/NFS <whatever> exposed to users.

> WebDAV over SSL seems fully supported onboard by the OS, and
> also requiring lest amount of neurosurgery.

Sad but true. I personally think this is less than ideal, but OTOH,
for many things, it's "good enough".