[FoRK] Amazon S3 storage service

Eugen Leitl < eugen at leitl.org > on > Wed Mar 15 06:35:16 PST 2006

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 01:36:51PM +0000, Russell Turpin wrote:

> Is pretty useless if the data is encrypted before it
> leaves your machine. Conversely, it's pretty silly

Most crypto fs have a secret server-side.
I very much doubt this is what Amazon is
selling (or what GDrive, if not mythical)
will be offering.

> for you to think that your data is safe against
> subpoena if you have been storing it and backing
> it up unencrypted, even though you personally
> keep all the copies.

I would be encrypting the fs and the backups,
but that's not the point. The point is that
a search warrant -- so far -- requires some
incriminating evidence prior collected.

This is a high threshold. Data mining of
cleartext snarfed in transit or subpoenaed
or even data-mined server-side (many companies
have a history of TLA cooperation to the point
of bending over backwards) is almost zero
threshold, especially today, when pedophile
drug-trafficking terrorists hide under our
beds.