[FoRK] Amazing op-ed: Slavery was good, and Democrats are bad

Russell Turpin < deafbox at hotmail.com > on > Wed Mar 15 15:53:05 PST 2006

Kevin Elliott <K-Elliott at wiu.edu>:
>Umm... I feel obligated to point out the the DEMOCRATS are the party of
>slavery. The question isn't why they don't vote Republican- it's why the
>hell they ever started voting
>for the Democrats.

The two major parties performed a strange reversal over
the last 150 years. The most visible step in that dance
was when the Dixiecrats fled the Democratic Party. But
it goes deeper. The Republicans started out as a
liberal party, and after the Civil War, rammed the
reconstruction amendments through Congress. Today,
Republicans want to repeal the 14th amendment,
because it too broadly protects civil liberty. Republicans
started out with a jaundiced view of large corporations,
climaxing in Teddy Roosevelt's trust-busting. Needless
to say, that view is no longer home in the GOP. The
reversal is also reflected in geography. Compare the
states Kerry won in 2004, to the states Lincoln won:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:ElectoralCollege1860-Large.png

The blue states are still those along the eastern
seaboard, the Pacific coast, and the Great Lakes.
Only the names have changed. Things are different
in the 21st century, and the reversal is not perfect.
Of course. But it's this strange reversal that underlies
much of American political history.