[FoRK] why is "elite" a dirty word?

Russell Turpin < deafbox at hotmail.com > on > Thu Mar 16 08:12:16 PST 2006

"Corinna" <corinna.schultz at gmail.com>:
>But why the word "elite"? I've always had positive connotations with that
>word -- such as success, competence, being in 1st place -- and I find it
>jarring when it is used in a demeaning manner. ..

Fomenting resentment in order to garner support
and votes is an old tactic. Who better to target
for that resentment than elites? Especially when
your base are fundamentalists, you can use this
to target everyone who has a viewpoint that
excludes fundamentalism. Admittedly, that creates
a pretty broad spectrum of elites. But that's
alright.

>Who are they referring to when they say "elite" in this way?

Anyone they want to discredit. Don't fall into
the trap of thinking that political rhetoric is
necessarily tied to the ordinary meaning of the
words used.