[FoRK] Amazon S3 storage service

Eugen Leitl < eugen at leitl.org > on > Thu Mar 16 12:57:59 PST 2006

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 03:44:22PM -0500, Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:

> There was a group in Finland that hooked up Gigabit for everyone in
> their town (for phone, cable etc. etc), and they found copying disks
> to be limited by the disk bandwidth, not the network.

When I see FTC to consumer being rolled out and it's not 10 GbE-capable,
I strongly suspect fraud. It's so easy to build a routed mesh that way
it ought to be illegal.

Arguably, with 802.11n being round the corner rolling out FTC
to end customer is way premature. By the time wireless cell bandwidth
is exhausted fiber will have learned utterly new tricks, but it won't
be Fiber As We Know It.