[FoRK] Amazon S3 storage service

Aaron Burt < aaron at bavariati.org > on > Fri Mar 17 11:34:31 PST 2006

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 12:27:42PM +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> I have never understood why nobody builds Ethernet drives. (Yes,
> I know, but Seagate doesn't sell them, and you pay through the
> nose for shelves and cases).

Buffalo and others sell consumer-oriented NAS boxes that run Linux.  Pop
on an ATA over Ethernet daemon and you're set.  See also Coraid.

Hm, a bit of clever embedded design could yield a SATA-ATAoE gizmo.  The
Seagate NL35 drives are just under the limit for 802.3af Power-over-Ethernet.
One RJ45, one drive, one quarter-TB.

I Have Ideas So Give Me Money,
  Aaron  ;)