[FoRK] Amazon S3 storage service

Aaron Burt < aaron at bavariati.org > on > Fri Mar 17 22:38:32 PST 2006

On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 09:12:43PM +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 11:34:31AM -0800, Aaron Burt wrote:
> > Buffalo and others sell consumer-oriented NAS boxes that run Linux.  Pop
>
> You don't want an anemic CPU in the loop. The complexity of mapping
> a block device to Ethernet frame is low enough for an ASIC.

Sure, but a more capable processor doesn't hurt when you're prototyping
or doing a small run.  If an ASIC can do it, it's trivial in ARM assembly.

> > Hm, a bit of clever embedded design could yield a SATA-ATAoE gizmo.
> > The Seagate NL35 drives are just under the limit for 802.3af
> > Power-over-Ethernet.  One RJ45, one drive, one quarter-TB.
>
> Now that's a cool idea. But you can't do PoE on GBit lines, and
> a drive will need something faster than Fast Ethernet.

Actually, 802.3af does work over GigE.  Cisco sells line cards for it.
Only problem would be dealing with the drive's startup current, but
supercapacitors could cover it.  I haven't the faintest idea what it'd
be useful for but it's doable nonetheless.