[FoRK] Amazon S3 storage service

Kevin Elliott < K-Elliott at wiu.edu > on > Sat Mar 18 16:17:52 PST 2006

At 21:12 +0100  on  3/17/06, Eugen Leitl wrote:

>On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 11:34:31AM -0800, Aaron Burt wrote:
>>  On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 12:27:42PM +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>>  > I have never understood why nobody builds Ethernet drives. (Yes,
>>  > I know, but Seagate doesn't sell them, and you pay through the
>>  > nose for shelves and cases).
>>
>>  Buffalo and others sell consumer-oriented NAS boxes that run Linux.  Pop
>
>You don't want an anemic CPU in the loop. The complexity of mapping
>a block device to Ethernet frame is low enough for an ASIC.

Hmm... Is their a protocol for that?  Once you factor a heavy weight
line protocol to handle sharing the drive to multiple clients things
get a lot uglier...

Frankly, I'm not sure what your trying to gain from ethernet- if you
want mutli-user, etc.  then I think your pushing what can fit on an
ASIC.  And if you DON'T want that then ethernet seem excessive, and I
don't know of any wire protocols that would support your goal.