[FoRK] cooking the books

Dave Long < dave.long at bluewin.ch > on > Tue Mar 21 02:54:19 PST 2006

> As part of the Deficit Reduction Act, signed into law on February 8,
> 2006, a freeze is required on Medicare payments to all physicians,
> suppliers and providers, including ambulance services. The freeze will
> affect only claims for the last nine days of the Federal fiscal year,
> September 22-30, 2006 and it is a one-time hold on payments.  Claims
> held as a result of the policy will be paid on October 2, 2006,  with
> no
> interest or late penalty to be paid. The action will take place to move
> payments into the next Fiscal Year.

At first I thought this might be a medtech equivalent of urban legend,
but it checks out on the HHS site:

http://www.cms.hhs.gov/Transmittals/Downloads/R847CP.pdf

Having worked for a subsequently-cratered large company that, despite
substantial gross revenues, was in the nasty habit of slow-paying not
only its suppliers but also its employees, this behavior doesn't strike
me as a confidence inspiring move.

On the bright side, they're not trying to shift 180 days worth of costs
into the next FY, so maybe it's not so much cooking the books as the
accounting version of microwave burritos?

-Dave