[FoRK] skype was made by clever people

Stephen D. Williams < sdw at lig.net > on > Tue Mar 21 16:26:23 PST 2006

I'm happy for Skype in the short run because they prove it can be done
and make a little money.  It's requirements development that sets the
bar for everything that will follow.  The money they make is really off
of the backs of the traditional monopolies who must be forced to become
more efficient and fair by such competition.  Oligopolies will lumbar
along on the gravy train forever absent such pressure, falsely giving
the impression that technology doesn't allow a better situation yet.

In the end, a free software version of something at least as good as
Skype will be standard.  Asterisk already has most of the power needed.
Prices for landline hookup are becoming commodities.  Broadvoice prices
DIDs at about $2/mo., far lower than the loaded price from a few years ago.

I'll repeat what I heard while working at Lexis-Nexis, back in the days
of $0.30+/min. long distance: at least half of the cost of long distance
pays (paid) for the billing of the charges.

sdw