[FoRK] Visto = Toasto

Russell Turpin < deafbox at hotmail.com > on > Wed Mar 22 12:32:59 PST 2006

"Ian Andrew Bell (FoRK)" <fork at ianbell.com>:
>The real losers are the PC Manufacturers.  5 consecutive
>holiday seasons without a new OS?  Are you kidding? ..

Why is an OS inherently a consumer appeal, any more
than die size, the selection of resin for plastic components,
or specs on the transmission shaft? Yes, all of these affect
the end product, be it a computer, toaster, or car. But
no one buys a computer to use its OS. The OS is
important to the extent that it gets out of the way and
simplifies maintenance tasks. XP is the first version of
Windows that wasn't horrible. I'm kind of glad they
haven't changed it in a few years. ;-)

What I really want isn't a new OS, but a PC that is the
size of a deck of cards, that has a an ethernet port, a
bunch of USB ports, a 12V connector, a video out port,
and built-in wireless and Bluetooth. The inside should
have a motherboard, 1Gb RAM, 100Gb disk, whatever
is needed to provide the interfaces just listed, and
nothing else. In particular, no fan. Build the case as a
heat sink.

No bigger than a deck of cards. That would get my
attention.