[FoRK] Visto = Toasto

Luis Villa < luis.villa at gmail.com > on > Wed Mar 22 12:57:48 PST 2006

On 3/22/06, Russell Turpin <deafbox at hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Ian Andrew Bell (FoRK)" <fork at ianbell.com>:
> >The real losers are the PC Manufacturers.  5 consecutive
> >holiday seasons without a new OS?  Are you kidding? ..
>
> Why is an OS inherently a consumer appeal, any more
> than die size, the selection of resin for plastic components,
> or specs on the transmission shaft? Yes, all of these affect
> the end product, be it a computer, toaster, or car. But
> no one buys a computer to use its OS. The OS is
> important to the extent that it gets out of the way and
> simplifies maintenance tasks. XP is the first version of
> Windows that wasn't horrible. I'm kind of glad they
> haven't changed it in a few years. ;-)

The core software development platform (typically known as the OS)
could still have a lot of improvements to make 3rd party development
richer and more interesting. The current view of the OS as 'something
that provides device drivers and file system access' seems very
impoverished to me. People as a first-class object, richer content
sharing (inc. file permissions that reach across machines that doesn't
require enterprise-class centralized auth), better search, and richer
metadata are all things that pop to mind immediately that could be
baked into the OS, and which would benefit a great deal from having
multiple apps sharing the same infrastructure instead of repeatedly
reinventing the wheel on top of what we thought of as the core OS ten
years ago. I love to mock MS, but they were headed in the right
direction with their DB-as-FS work on several of these scores, and if
they'd actually been able to execute, it would have been bad news for
those of us competing with them in the desktop space.

Luis

Luis

Luis