[FoRK] Visto = Toasto

Stephen D. Williams < sdw at lig.net > on > Wed Mar 22 13:55:06 PST 2006

ReiserFS is further along on the DB-as-FS than anything else.  They've
proven that it can work in several respects, including indexing,
handling small files, and raw speed.  With the new Oracle and other
transactional, distributed filesystems, Linux technology is far ahead of
Microsoft technology in this area.  Not that they couldn't steal the
design ideas quickly.  Putting everything into an SQL database is just
nuts; no wonder they gave up.

I have been installing (and reinstalling (started with Test 3 just
before final came out, plus rehabilitating a machine with several broken
devices)) Fedora Core 5 with 2.6.16 + vserver patches.  Pretty snappy.
It mulls over the devices and the 1TB root volume (later 600GB after
removing a couple flakey drives) for a few seconds and then the desktop
takes about 2 seconds to popup after login.

sdw