[FoRK] Visto = Toasto

Luis Villa < luis.villa at gmail.com > on > Wed Mar 22 14:20:32 PST 2006

On 3/22/06, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
> ReiserFS is further along on the DB-as-FS than anything else.  They've
> proven that it can work in several respects, including indexing,
> handling small files, and raw speed.  With the new Oracle and other
> transactional, distributed filesystems, Linux technology is far ahead of
> Microsoft technology in this area.  Not that they couldn't steal the
> design ideas quickly.  Putting everything into an SQL database is just
> nuts; no wonder they gave up.

Sadly, Hans Reiser is by all accounts insane, and as a result, the
totally broken kernel development process therefore also treats his
ideas as insane, when they are perhaps the most interesting thing
going right now at that level of any OS.

> I have been installing (and reinstalling (started with Test 3 just
> before final came out, plus rehabilitating a machine with several broken
> devices)) Fedora Core 5 with 2.6.16 + vserver patches.  Pretty snappy.
> It mulls over the devices and the 1TB root volume (later 600GB after
> removing a couple flakey drives) for a few seconds and then the desktop
> takes about 2 seconds to popup after login.

I can't speak much to the server side of things, but we've put a lot
of work into desktop performance in the past few months, and it shows.
It'll be even better in the next release of all the major GNOME-based
distros.

Luis