[FoRK] A Universe With Untold Hundreds of Stars

Stephen D. Williams < sdw at lig.net > on > Wed Mar 22 14:39:52 PST 2006

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/achenblog/2006/03/a_universe_with_untold_hundred.html

Posted at 07:47 AM ET, 03/20/2006
A Universe With Untold Hundreds of Stars

[Implausibly, I was the keynote speaker Friday night at the annual
Robert H. Goddard Memorial Dinner of the National Space Club, an event
also known as the Space Prom. Lots of industry, government types, space
buffs, generals and admirals. I dread public speaking, and sometimes get
a bit jittery even when I'm just mumbling to myself in the car on the
way to work. Anyway, there were 2,500 people in attendance, though I
couldn't see anyone in the audience once they beamed the bright lights
at the podium. To calm myself, I pretended I was speaking to only 1,750.
The one thing that kept me from being completely pee-pants terrified was
the knowledge that any psychological disintegration on stage would make
the inevitable blog item that much better. Here are a few paragraphs
from my speaking text. Please add inflections, pauses and gestures, plus
the occasional quick glance at the NASA administrator to make sure he's
laughing.]

When I go into my back yard at night, and look into the heavens, I am
often filled with wonder and awe at the eight or nine stars that are
visible here in the city. I know that these stars are but a tiny
smattering of the literally hundreds and hundreds of stars in our
galaxy. And our galaxy is but one of dozens and dozens of galaxies. The
numbers are mind-boggling. I want to pause so that everyone can have a
moment to let his or her mind unboggle.

So here we are, tiny Earthlings, puny in the grand scheme of things,
feeble, irrelevant, beneath contempt, and truly pathetic in a cosmos
that is so large as to be, quite frankly, ostentatious. We want to go
out there. Now, as members of the National Space Club, I know you will
share with me a kind of frustration about our current situation
regarding human spaceflight. Here we are, as it were on an island in the
middle of a vast cosmic sea. We feel almost trapped. We want to build
some kind of craft that will let us cross that ocean of space. But our
best plans are often foiled. So it is that the space program is
simultaneously one of our most noble national endeavors, and also
strangely like the plot of Gilligan's Island. So much of our space
strategy boils down to the concept that if we wait long enough, the
Professor will make a radio out of a coconut.

It is a great treat to be among people who think about space and care
about space. This does not mean that you are "space cadets." No, you
graduated. You are scientists, administrators, CEOs, and commanders of
your own mental starships. You are the kind of people who, were they not
explicitly banned by DC law, would know how to handle a ray gun.

So you know the possibilities in space as well as the challenges. A
central problem with space is that, strictly defined, there's no THERE
there. Space is a great emptiness. If an unprotected human being were
exposed to the vacuum of space he or she would immediately cramp up
horribly. Headaches, chills, vertigo. The list goes on. Dandruff.
Flyaway hair. And thus we must enclose the human in a spacecraft, and
provide him with a complex array of life support systems, and hope that
he or she does not mind when most people back on Earth forget he or she
is up there. It can be lonely out in space. That's a line from Elton
John, the astronaut....

Posted by Joel Achenbach | Permalink | Comments (153)
Other Blogs' Comments: TrackBack (0) | Technorati talk bubble Technorati