[FoRK] Visto = Toasto

Luis Villa < luis.villa at gmail.com > on > Wed Mar 22 15:04:52 PST 2006

On 3/22/06, Russell Turpin <deafbox at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Luis Villa wrote:
> >>I love to mock MS, but they were headed in the right
> >>direction with their DB-as-FS work..
>
> "Stephen D. Williams" <sdw at lig.net>:
> >ReiserFS is further along on the DB-as-FS than anything else.  They've
> >proven that it can work in several respects..
>
> There are a lot of interesting things coming down the
> pike with regard to file systems. What does that have to
> do with operating systems?

The most interesting things going on in FSs are not just 'lets plug in
something new under the same old POSIX semantics'; to take full
advantage they require new APIs and new thinking at the app level.
That means they need standardization (or else no one will use them,
which is what is happening to reiser), and that means they have to be
shipped with and supported by the OS.

Luis