[FoRK] Visto = Toasto

Luis Villa < luis.villa at gmail.com > on > Thu Mar 23 13:01:48 PST 2006

On 3/23/06, Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 11:21:44AM -0800, Ian Andrew Bell (FoRK) wrote:
> > The real losers are the PC Manufacturers.  5 consecutive holiday
> > seasons without a new OS?  Are you kidding?  Say goodbye to the
> > consumer market ... IF somebody steps up to the plate and delivers an
> > alternative.
>
> Well, Ubuntu 6 drops June 1, and the next one will be 6 months later...

As much as I love Ubuntu, what compelling features does it have that
would make the hardware people sell more hardware?

> > Steve Jobs should be phoning them right about now to offer them OS
> > X.  Does he get it?
>
> He seems to get that he has no reason to hand his hardware-sales profits
> to someone else, and several reasons not to.

Alternately, he could note that Microsoft has (for a long time, via
Office) made more profit on every Apple sold than Apple has, and
realize that maybe he should turn the tables.

Luis