[FoRK] Abortion cognitive dissonance

Udhay Shankar N < udhay at pobox.com > on > Thu Mar 23 17:45:57 PST 2006

At 10:55 PM 3/23/2006, Corinna wrote:

>... this kind of refusal to face reality really angers me. People just don't
>care how much they damage others when they refuse to rethink their beliefs
>in the face of challenging evidence...
>
>http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/3/23/91949/7401

In that context, this seems interesting:

http://www.indianz.com/News/2006/013061.asp

Giago: Oglala Sioux president on state abortion law
Tuesday, March 21, 2006

"When Governor Mike Rounds signed HB 1215 into law it effectively
banned all abortions in the state with the exception that it did
allow saving the mother's life. There were, however, no exceptions
for victims of rape or incest. His actions, and the comments of State
Senators like Bill Napoli of Rapid City, SD, set of a maelstrom of
protests within the state.

Napoli suggested that if it was a case of "simple rape," there should
be no thoughts of ending a pregnancy. Letters by the hundreds
appeared in local newspapers, mostly written by women, challenging
Napoli's description of rape as "simple." He has yet to explain
satisfactorily what he meant by "simple rape."

The President of the Oglala Sioux Tribe on the Pine Ridge
Reservation, Cecilia Fire Thunder, was incensed. A former nurse and
healthcare giver she was very angry that a state body made up mostly
of white males, would make such a stupid law against women.

"To me, it is now a question of sovereignty," she said to me last
week. "I will personally establish a Planned Parenthood clinic on my
own land which is within the boundaries of the Pine Ridge Reservation
where the State of South Dakota has absolutely no jurisdiction."

Strong words from a very strong lady. I hope Ms. Fire Thunder
challenges Gov. Rounds and the state legislators on this law that is
an affront to all independent women."