[FoRK] Re: Web development teams for hire? (Albert S.)

Albert Scherbinsky < albert at softwarepress.com > on > Sun Mar 26 08:27:00 PST 2006

I'm not saying you can't still make a decent living with a degree in Computer Science. What I am saying is that you can make a better living doing other things. I am also saying that the real earning power of a Computer Science degree isn't what it used to be, and likely won't be what it is today in the future. You just can't compete with someone with a Computer Science degree in India willing to work for a third of what you expect here.

My personal opinion is that there is only one good reason to get a Computer Science degree in North America or Europe and that is because you get a kick out of messing with computers. That's why I got one in the first place, and why I still get a kick out of programming and just tooling around with computers.

I've had similar thoughts about patents, especially after the RIMM case.  I also have some ideas which I think are truly worthy of patents, however to monetize a patent you have to be prepared to endure years of legal rangling without compensation. That's just not something I'm prepared to do. The world will have to wait till someone else thinks of the same thing.

The nice thing about knowing your way around the financial markets is that you can change with the tides. The dot com tide comes in you jump on, the dot com tide goes out, you get off. The commodity tide comes in, you get on. The commodity tide goes out, you get off. Repeat as necessary. I didn't know a darn thing about copper mining or oil discovery and exploration before investing in them. I know a lot more now. Not enough to become a rough neck working a drilling rig, but enough to make money on the financial markets.

Cheers,
Albert

----- Original Message ----
From: Damien Morton <fork at bitfurnace.com>
To: Albert S. <albert at softwarepress.com>; fork at xent.com
Sent: Sunday, March 26, 2006 10:55:41 AM
Subject: Re: [FoRK] Re: Web development teams for hire? (Albert S.)

Well, I don't really see this as a reason not to study Comp Sci. Plenty
of people make very good livings doing computer stuff that has little or
nothing to do with the internet at large.

The fact that a lot of the work has been done is also a good thing - it
frees up minds to consider problems other than building the Nth bulletin
board or shopping cart in ASP/PHP/Perl/Python/Ruby/whatever. There are
much more satisfying and productive ways to earn a living than that.

Good luck with the investing. You'd like to work for an investment back
eventually?

Im thinking of writing myself a patent generator, which systematically
combines primitive concepts together, such as 'buy' and 'now', or
'britney' and 'spears', generating the required patent legalese and
submitting automatically to the patent office. Once I get that done, all
I will have to do is sit back and let the money roll in. Or something.