and books (was: Fw: [FoRK] Re: Re: Re: is it worth it?)

Nalin Savara < nsavara at vsnl.net > on > Mon Apr 24 12:46:23 PDT 2006

> There is no talent pool to speak of. (My wages as a beginning teacher -
> 31K -  put me rather solidly in the middle class here, and I was easily
able
> to buy a duplex in a nice neighborhood.) Anyone who's capable of
programming
> is either self-taught, or learned VB at the community college. There are a
> few high school students getting AP Java each year, but they go away to
> college, and people tend to want to escape the Valley as soon as they can.
> This company has 3 programmers (including me) and three people who do
sales,
> tech support, and testing, and the owner, who does a random assortment of
> stuff, including community involvement. We have a temp worker for
bookeeping
> right now. The main sales person was out for surgery last week, and the
> other two were at a trade show.

hmmm.... thanks for the interesting, comprehensive and honest reply;

Is there a URL/website where I can learn more about your company Corrina ?

have you read PeopleWare-- by DeMarco and (dont remember the second guy's
name) ?
have you read "The Nudist on the Late Shift"-- By Po Bronson ?

Any folks here that'd care to share a opinion/rant on the above 2 books ?

Regards,

Nalin

ps:about "Is it worth it ?"; if I were you, I'd value these learnings more
than my life and I'd be willing and happy to sacrifice a lot on this path
(and I did, when I had a similar opportunity); though yeah, people's
opinions on such situations tends to differ; so yeah, that's a interesting
situation you're in...