[FoRK] The Kaavya Viswanathan ("Harvard Novelist") plagiarism case

Matt Jensen < mattj at newsblip.com > on > Tue Apr 25 12:51:45 PDT 2006

Two thoughts.

1. Just an interesting coincidence: this past weekend was the biannual
used book sale for the Seattle Public Library.  There was a copy of
"Sloppy Firsts" (which I'd never heard of) sticking out like a sore
thumb in a section in which it clearly didn't belong.

2. Who's going to offer the plaigarism-detection farm?  After a number
of high-profile plaigarism cases in the last decade, I'd think there
would be a good market for a service that accepts a book draft,
compares it to a few million existing titles, and spits out suspicious
overlaps.  The customers would be publishers (and maybe literary
agents).  There are services for checking college term papers, so why
don't book publishers do this?

Matt Jensen
http://mattjensen.com
Seattle