[FoRK] The Kaavya Viswanathan ("Harvard Novelist") plagiarism case

Luis Villa < luis.villa at gmail.com > on > Tue Apr 25 13:00:49 PDT 2006

On 4/25/06, Ken Meltsner <meltsner at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> With any luck, they have higher expectations than Columbia (apparently) does.
>
>  When faced with clear evidence that a former business school student
> had plagiarized one of my papers for his coursework, I contacted the
> professor responsible for the course.  He responded quickly and
> assured me that something would be done.
>
> Unfortunately, the student, who had graduated, brought in a lawyer and
> stated that he would respond aggressively to any action by the
> university.  Sadly, the university chose to drop the matter entirely,
> in part, I think, because it was just a paper for a business school
> class -- apparently ethics don't matter if the student in question has
> received a terminal masters.

Should have threatened to document the whole thing on the web, though
I suppose he'd have then threatened to sue you too, though not before
the damage was done to his rep...

Luis