[FoRK] The Kaavya Viswanathan ("Harvard Novelist") plagiarism case

Luis Villa < luis.villa at gmail.com > on > Tue Apr 25 13:05:25 PDT 2006

On 4/25/06, Luis Villa <luis.villa at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/25/06, Ken Meltsner <meltsner at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> > With any luck, they have higher expectations than Columbia (apparently) does.
> >
> >  When faced with clear evidence that a former business school student
> > had plagiarized one of my papers for his coursework, I contacted the
> > professor responsible for the course.  He responded quickly and
> > assured me that something would be done.
> >
> > Unfortunately, the student, who had graduated, brought in a lawyer and
> > stated that he would respond aggressively to any action by the
> > university.  Sadly, the university chose to drop the matter entirely,
> > in part, I think, because it was just a paper for a business school
> > class -- apparently ethics don't matter if the student in question has
> > received a terminal masters.
>
> Should have threatened to document the whole thing on the web, though
> I suppose he'd have then threatened to sue you too, though not before
> the damage was done to his rep...

Just to clarify, of course, the main threat here would have been to
Columbia- all they have is their rep; they can afford lawyers and
spine *iff* their rep is threatened publicly.

Luis