[FoRK] The Kaavya Viswanathan ("Harvard Novelist") plagiarism case

Stephen D. Williams < sdw at lig.net > on > Tue Apr 25 14:19:46 PDT 2006

I can see how someone could reuse language in a similar way and style
without realizing that it was too close.  We all pattern our speech and
writing, at least at some point and some ways, on things we have heard
or read.  I sometimes realize that I regurgitate an exact line from a
movie, usually to an oblivious audience, because the situation called
for exactly the same sentiment.

Actually, it's a bit funny that anyone using contemporary speech would
have to copy famous lines from known works, not to plagiarize but to be
realistic about how certain people talk.

The detection service would also be useful to writers to know when
they've matched something.  The negative would be to prevent true
coincidental use which is actually protected.

sdw