[FoRK] War of the Worlds

Gordon Mohr < gojomofork at xavvy.com > on > Wed Apr 26 10:01:54 PDT 2006

I agree, I really enjoyed WotW, for its very consciously
"different" average-guy view of an invasion/conflict.

Did you notice that every scene was essentially from Cruise's
character's viewpoint -- never cutting away to other action that
he's not directly experiencing? Except for the opening and closing
voiceovers, we only see and know what he sees. Information about
what's going on is scarce and contradictory.

That required an actor/character who the audience can stand to
watch for 2 hours straight -- making the choice to portray hi
character as a bit of a jerk early on especially risky. Still, it
worked.

Another scene that rang true to me was when a military convoy
passed the family, professionally indifferent to their plight,
following some orders other than 'render aid to refugees'. (Were
they advancing? Retreating? I don't think we can know.)

The gun-in-the-crowd scene *didn't* ring true to me. It did make a
point about both the power and danger of guns when usual social
norms have collapsed and traditional authorities are gone -- but
there's no chance that in a giant crowd of refugees, only one
person is going to have a gun. Whatever one's opinion on gun
ownership, America is up to its neck in private guns, and even
heirloom rifles in attics and basements would have come out in
force by that point in the action.

- Gordon