[FoRK] The Kaavya Viswanathan ("Harvard Novelist") plagiarism case

Aaron Burt < aaron at bavariati.org > on > Wed Apr 26 10:44:24 PDT 2006

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 02:54:44PM -0500, Ken Meltsner wrote:
[plagarism]
> Unfortunately, the student, who had graduated, brought in a lawyer and
> stated that he would respond aggressively to any action by the
> university.  Sadly, the university chose to drop the matter entirely,

Brings to mind someone who showed a used-car salesman clear proof of
odometer fraud, and was nearly assaulted for daring to question the
salesman's integrity [sic].

In my experience, habitual cheats counterattack reflexively and
aggressively when they're caught, instead of apologizing or negotiating.
It's not really an ego/belief thing, just the most effective response.

Given recent politics, I'm tempted to dub it the "Texas Strategy".