[FoRK] how to do no-sub tv?

Lucas Gonze < lgonze at panix.com > on > Thu Apr 27 08:35:07 PDT 2006

Brian Atkins wrote:
> Straight Over-The-Air HDTV is the best quality going nowadays. Sat
> companies actually downrez it down to 1280x1024 and lower bitrates, so
> avoid them.

Wow!  I would never have guessed that this was a plausible technology --
I was assuming that I'd need some kind of satellite hookup.

> Just hook up an antenna, size and quality depending on your location:
>
> http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

Ok, so, the next question is what that "antenna" business means.
Checking out the UHF antennnae at
http://www.hometech.com/video/antennas.html, I wonder if I can get away
with one of the smaller things there, since I don't have roof access for
installing a bigger one.

As a general point, my motivation is to not accept ongoing dependence on
some vendor, whether it's for subscription fees or refills.

> If you want a DVR, there are various options from building your own PC
> based DVR, or waiting for the series 3 Tivo coming out this year which
> will have two OTA tuners.

Hm.  Maybe I can retrofit my series 1 Tivo.  The only change is a bigger
hard drive to accomodate larger files, I think.

-Lucas