[FoRK] how to do no-sub tv?

Brian Atkins < brian at posthuman.com > on > Thu Apr 27 09:31:43 PDT 2006

Lucas Gonze wrote:
> Ok, so how about internet TV?  Has anybody taken seriously all the
> stations supposedly available via IP?

I'm not aware of any major networks available in "IP" (you mean DRMed IP,
right?). ABC has said it will make a couple shows available in a pathetic
streaming format with forced commercial watching. Others try to make you pay
ridiculous amounts of money to buy junk versions on itunes. I think cartoon
network has some kind of streaming thing going on for some shows. I know of a
german tv service where you can dvr and download german tv shows for free.

The best quality and cost going online is XviD stuff on bittorrent. Usually show
rips are available shortly after broadcast at various tracker sites. In some
cases they are now offering higher res versions, in the 700MB range or more, but
still not anywhere near full HD resolution.

For quality and price you can beat free OTA reception, although at this point
I'm still using cable myself... want more channels than OTA and a decent dual
tuner HD DVR box.
--
Brian Atkins
http://www.singinst.org/