[FoRK] how to do no-sub tv?

Lucas Gonze < lgonze at panix.com > on > Thu Apr 27 10:49:13 PDT 2006

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Brian Atkins wrote:
> I'm not aware of any major networks available in "IP" (you mean DRMed IP,
> right?).

Nope.  I'm thinking of webcasts, as in:
http://beelinetv.com/
http://mediahopper.com/portal.htm
http://wwitv.com/

In my experience with news playlists, these television webcasts were
functional if you could stand the pain of extreme bugginess and bandwidth
problems.

The only way to make them really watchable is to pre-fetch (a la RSS
enclosures), then convert the pre-fetched files to a usable file format
(they tend to be in screwy Real formats).  I'd have to write that software
myself, though, and I'm too busy right now.

> ABC has said it will make a couple shows available in a pathetic
> streaming format with forced commercial watching. Others try to make you pay
> ridiculous amounts of money to buy junk versions on itunes.

ROTFL.  These things are joke and an insult.

> For quality and price you can beat free OTA reception, although at this point
> I'm still using cable myself... want more channels than OTA and a decent dual
> tuner HD DVR box.

I could live with four channels if they were Spike, the Sci Fi channel,
Comedy Central, and HBO.

-Lucas