[FoRK] Re: Parenting advice wanted...

Ken Meltsner < meltsner at alum.mit.edu > on > Fri Apr 28 10:46:32 PDT 2006

On a more practical note, trust your instincts.

You know the kid better than any "expert" on parenting.

8 is old enough to know the difference between reality and wishful
thinking, but not old enough in most cases to care about that
difference.

Patience in getting him to recognize when he has done something wrong
and to admit it to himself is needed.  At least in my religious
tradition, recognizing that you have done something wrong is the first
step when repenting.

It may help to tell him about a similar incident from your own
childhood; the fact that you survived a big screwup will help reduce
the perceived penalty for admitting a mistake.

We have an interesting pattern with our 10 year old -- stubborn
opposition, and when he's calmed down, tearful apologies for his
mistakes after he realizes what he's done.

Ken

On 4/28/06, Corinna <corinna.schultz at gmail.com> wrote:

> "rudy rouhana" <rudy at comlaw.org> wrote in message
> > Watch 24 on Monday night.  Jack Bauer could get your kid to talk in a
> > matter of minutes.  Do what Jack Bauer does - threaten to stick a knife in
> > his eye.  Problem, and safety of the free world, solved.
> -----
>
> hmmmm.....
>
> -Corinna

Absolute power corrupts absolutely, but model train sets do a pretty
good job as well

-- 2/28/05, in a odd dream