[FoRK] Section 603

Stephen D. Williams < sdw at lig.net > on > Sat Apr 29 07:52:53 PDT 2006

Only a repeat of my recent comment to the effect that those in power can
get away with quite a bit in the short term, but there it is very
difficult to escape the wheels of justice, both actual and public
opinion, in the long term.  One reason I tend to be skeptical of the
more far out conspiracy theories is that sooner or later someone will
let the details slip unless there were very few involved.

This president apparently assumed the powers of king privately for a few
years, and now has everyone publicly trying to justify it.  One way to
interpret the economic and political events of the last several years is
as one stream of abuse, corruption, incompetence, and gaps in
oversight.  The good that is coming of it is that each of these is so
clearly over the line and over the top that reformers are able to get
effective controls put in place for many things.  Sarbanes-Oxley for
instance is a brilliant improvement in avoiding fraud, from a
shareholder perspective.

I get tense over every test of personal scrutiny and freedom because
some of these might not come out as they should in the spirit of a free
society, but the trend overall is good.

Specifically, I think it is interesting that the state legislature
loophole is there and no one has talked about using it before.  Probably
it will be batted away on some technicality or otherwise brushed off,
but the statement will be made.  Additionally, if the press reports it
as US law that is again being bypassed, it will only add to the pressure.

The Republicans seem to have dug a really, really big hole.  US politics
should remain interesting for quite a while.

sdw