[FoRK] Parenting advice wanted...

Stephen D. Williams < sdw at lig.net > on > Sat Apr 29 08:54:24 PDT 2006

I've raised a number of children, all with different personalities,
problems, etc.  My emotional intelligence / experience, seems, to me, to
be much further along than my teenage geekiness when I became interested
in psychology.
I'm working through the last child now, with mostly only my influence
this time, which is a big plus.  She's going to be difficult, but she's
already further along the path at her age.

The key things you need to have and build on is trust and honesty.  The
part that adults don't get sometimes is that children need to trust that
you will be loving, understanding, supportive, and accept mistakes for
the first time or two without going berzerk.  There's a fuzzy line
between multiple roles, or modes, where you are their friend in life,
their teacher, and their therapist to understand and avoid repeating
errors and only as a last resort their jailer.  If acting like a jailer
/ authoritarian is the first thing you do, they'll act like prisoners
with all of the trauma that causes.

To build honesty, you have to never lie to your children and tell them
what you are not going to tell them when they are old enough (i.e. I'm
might read your IMs to check that you aren't getting into trouble) and
make it the worst offense for them to lie to you.  This means that when
they did something big, if you find out the hard way, the punishment is
much larger than if within a short period of time they admit what
happened and talk about it.  It is preferable if they agree to not make
the same mistake, but even if they don't, that is a separate issue from
doing it the first time.  If you make a mistake, especially with
punishment/judgment, admit it right away and apologize.  I was in "Big
Brothers/Big Sisters" once when I was about 20.  The teenager, 14, who I
was friends with was a constantly compulsive liar.  I did what I could,
but I had to walk away because he just couldn't stop and kept crossing
boundaries.  All defects of teenagers are bad habits of thinking and
doing; this is one of the worst.

It seems you need to constantly explain that you are looking out for
their best interests and that you have experience that lets you see
beyond what they think is important.  You need to always explain that
punish me is designed to help them make better choices in the future,
not get back at them.  Somehow this justification always seems to have a
short half-life and they tend to locally interpret strictness as dislike
or meanness.  This leads to "I hate my parents" because they vaguely
remember feeling "My parents hate me".  This generally fades a couple
years after they are over the hump or have been on their own, especially
if you haven't been over the top (i.e. abusive) in any way.  When they
become teenagers, their friends opinions are obviously more true than
everything else and it's required, and a badge of honor, to have mean,
controlling, loser parents.  Cool parents, in any way, are embarrassing,
so they must be disowned and denigrated.

Emotionality is tricky.  You shouldn't get emotional when they aren't,
except that you should show worry about dangerous choices, worry about
emerging habits, worry about how they are going to turn out.  If you are
loud and mean sounding, make sure you repeatedly tell them that it is
how you sound when you are scared for them, disappointed, etc.  If they
are emotional, you should try to be calm and keep asking them to lower
their voice, calm down, etc., possibly after going away to calm down for
a while.  In some cases, if they are being abusive, you need to reflect
it back, possibly with exaggeration, irony, or something clever so they
feel what it's like to receive, but then follow it up with the "be
rational" act.  You can also talk about emotional communication, both
useful, destructive, and superfluous.  A book you should read is: "A
General Theory of Love" *http://tinyurl.com/oukzm  *Many times children
(and people) will say reasonable things in an emotionally charged way
and insist that they did nothing wrong.  Emotions are mostly hidden from
logical analysis for most people initially; you have to draw attention
to it before they can control it.
*
*As for rationality, I would be very active in fixing this.  It doesn't
seem like it would be too hard if you use the reflection method.  You
should be happy to encourage imagination, story telling, and random
thoughts that relate to reality (i.e. "what if we were ...."), but you
should always make sure that everyone is giving clear cues about fantasy
talk and reality talk / thinking.  The reflection method would be for
you to temporarily make statements that mix up reality and fantasy in
ways that affect him and will get his attention.  "Why are you hungry, I
fed you dinner 5 minutes ago?"  Many kids, through teenager-hood
sometimes, don't feel the harshness of reality enough to grasp it
firmly.  You have to have gradually stronger interactions with reality
so that it is not "all a game".

The "I know" thing sounds like a competitive or defensive thing.  I've
seen that and avoided it, but I'm not sure I can explain how.  It seems
that if you ask in a friendly way with only curiosity and "this is neat"
style, you might be able to get some honest curiosity and humility.  My
daughter, 14, used to be very curious, and she and her friends still
sometimes ask questions and actually listen to my response, but for the
most part she doesn't want to hear me explaining things much anymore.
She also has had enough of museums, period, for a while, unless she has
a friend visiting who is interested.  I dragged them through too many
for too long and now she has no interest.

The best thing to do for tantrums or any anti-social behavior is
timeout, away from other people, generally with little to do (maybe
reading).  Anything else just feeds into the emotional cycle.

Good luck,
sdw