[FoRK] RE: Python in HyperTransport silicon

Logan, Patrick D < patrick.d.logan at intel.com > on > Tue May 9 14:17:56 PDT 2006

> In short, it seems that it is becoming possible to compile Python
> into silicon.  Or if you wish, reconfigurable silicon sitting in an
> Opteron socket.

Becoming?

Why, yes, I *am* a former(?) Smug Lisp Weenie
(http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?SmugLispWeenie), and so I have to welcome you
to the early 1980s where using Scheme as an HDL to design Scheme
processors was demonstrated several times at least. Beyond exercising
my smugness as a Lisp Weenie, though, I thought people might be
interested in looking up the results from that era as Python could be
considered to be a closely related language.

Scheme-81 and Scheme-86 from MIT are the well known examples...

Scheme-81 -- http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/context/31226/0

Scheme-86 -- (pdf) http://makeashorterlink.com/?O28A5351D

Sorry.
-Patrick