[FoRK] RE: Python in HyperTransport silicon

Eugen Leitl < eugen at leitl.org > on > Wed May 10 00:06:01 PDT 2006

On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 02:17:56PM -0700, Logan, Patrick D wrote:

> Becoming?

Yes.

> Why, yes, I *am* a former(?) Smug Lisp Weenie

Lisp is very nice, but as long as a similiar toolchain
are not available (I am not able to download
a maintaned tarball) for SBCL they're not there.

> (http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?SmugLispWeenie), and so I have to welcome you
> to the early 1980s where using Scheme as an HDL to design Scheme
> processors was demonstrated several times at least. Beyond exercising

Yeah, I always wanted to run a Forth or a Lisp machine
in the 1980s. Closest I got was a used Novix kit, where the
OS/compiler (written by Chuck Moore himself) was a thing
of beauty.

> my smugness as a Lisp Weenie, though, I thought people might be
> interested in looking up the results from that era as Python could be
> considered to be a closely related language.

Of course Lisp is more powerful -- but the community (despite
recent activities e.g. http://planet.lisp.org/
is considerably below critical mass.

> Scheme-81 and Scheme-86 from MIT are the well known examples...
>
> Scheme-81 -- http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/context/31226/0
>
> Scheme-86 -- (pdf) http://makeashorterlink.com/?O28A5351D
>
> Sorry.

Don't mention it, already forgiven.