[FoRK] Never recommend a backup strategy without first backing up

Andy Armstrong < andy at hexten.net > on > Mon May 22 12:40:42 PDT 2006

On 22 May 2006, at 20:33, Andy Armstrong wrote:
> From the department of closing-the-barn-door-after-the-horse-has-
> bolted: I back up all my personal machines to a Linux box with a
> bunch of big drives. rsync is the tool of choice here - very easy
> to build an incremental backup strategy that gives you N days worth
> of online backup (i.e. snapshots from yesterday, the day before,
> the day before that...) that don't occupy much more space than a
> single snapshot (rsync can construct hard links to files that
> haven't changed). Secondly I check anything that I'm working on
> into a Subversion repository which runs on a machine that's hosted
> off site - so I have access to all previous versions and I'm never
> going to lose more than about an hour's worth of work.

I should add that Subversion (or another version control system) adds
much more than just a backup. It handles synching my working set
between different boxes; it means that if I don't have the latest
copy on the machine I have with me and no net connection
(increasingly rare) I can make changes against an older version and
have SVN merge the changes into the latest version and it has a web
interface so I can get to my files wherever I can find a browser.

SVN (and its ilk) are intended primarily for managing source code but
I use it for just about everything - config files, source, documents,
images.

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net