[FoRK] What's Good for Bill Gates

Adam L Beberg < beberg at mithral.com > on > Fri May 26 09:55:20 PDT 2006

Simon Wistow wrote on 5/26/2006 1:58 AM:
> On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 09:55:03AM +0100, I said:
>> Just tell that to Mitch Besser. With a master's degree in software
>> design and development, 20 years experience, and a 4.0 GPA, Besser, 44,
>> hasn't been able to find full-time work since 2001. "If I can't find
>> work, something is up," says Besser, who lives in suburban Portland,
>> Ore., and has worked for places like Intel. He adds that in the past
>> five years, most of his colleagues in the tech industry have left town
>> or switched jobs. "I get infuriated when I hear that they can't find
>> people."
>
> I was under the impression (admittedly with a view from across the pond)
> that the economy was picking up. Certainly the job market here seems to
> be bouyant and friends in The Valley (now wouldn't that make a great
> soap opera? No? Oh, ok then) seem to tell me that there are jobs around.
>
> Even friends in Portland (which I've been told has higher than average
> unemployment) who were laid off during the crash have all got jobs since
> then and have even moved job once or twice.

It is. If you're 22, single, and willing to work 12 hours a day plus
weekend. This also applies if you're foreign, since you're then also
likely young, single, and cheap.

Otherwise, you're basically unemployable. Age/wage discrimination in
this industry is alive and well.

Mitch's problem is that the red light in his hand is flashing.

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/