[FoRK] McDonalds Interactive presents at the 2006 International Serious Games Event

Damien Morton < fork at bitfurnace.com > on > Wed Jun 7 10:11:50 PDT 2006

http://www.mcdonaldsinteractive.com.nyud.net:8080/themostseriousgame.ppt
Text Of Speech at http://www.mcdonaldsinteractive.com/announcement.html

McDonald's Interactive announced
<http://www.mcdonaldsinteractive.com/announcement.html> today that it is
striking out on its own from parent company McDonald's. The announcement
was made at the International Serious Games Event
<http://www.seriousgames.org.uk/index.asp?slevel=0z5&parent_id=5> in
Birmingham, England. "We can no longer stand by while McDonald's
corporate policies help lead the planet to ruin," said Andrew
Shimery-Wolf, co-director of the former Interactive Division.

McDonald's Interactive was formed four years ago to help the company
adapt to new market conditions.

"We began developing a simulation of the fast-food industry, for use by
managers in developing market strategies." said Division CTO Sam
Grossman. "When we added a climate simulation module, it showed those
strategies helping lead to global calamity."

"Management doesn't seem to care, and we can't sit back and fiddle while
Rome burns, so our team has decided to break away from McDonald's and do
something about it," said Grossman.

The new organization's charter will be to help stimulate mass
mobilization for policy change. "Mass mobilization has had some huge
effects," said Dan Licari, the organizer of the International Serious
Games Event
<http://www.seriousgames.org.uk/index.asp?slevel=0z5&parent_id=5>. "No
matter what the government thinks they want to do, they have to act,
they're pressed into action."

"Scientists believe that to avoid ever-more-likely calamity, we must
reduce our emissions by 70% very quickly," said Shimery-Wolf. "Since
governments won't do that without popular pressure, helping to generate
revolt is the only responsible choice, the only true CSR."

He characterized ordinary CSR efforts as "trivial improvements to a
sinking ship, serving only to reassure passengers" and singled out
British Petroleum's CSR campaign in particular as just a "slightly more
polite form of world annihilation."